Ingredients for the custard:
- 1 L full fat milk
- 250 g Caster sugar
- 55 g plain flour
- 6 free range eggs
- Bring the milk to the boil in a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile whisk together the eggs and sugar. Sieve the flour and add it to the egg mix. Whisk until combined.
- Add the hot milk to the egg mix and whisk until dissolved.
- Pour the mix back in the saucepan and cook on medium heat, while whisking. The custard will start to thicken up when it get close to the boil. Once it starts boiling cook it for about 3 minute on medium heat while whisking.
- Pour the custard in clean bowl and leave to cool.
Ingredient for the jelly:
- 1 L water
- 200 ml black currant cordial
- 7 Teaspoon gelatin powder
- Combine the cordial and water.
- Bring the water to the boil, then slowly sprinkle the gelatin on the water while whisking.
- Make sure all the gelatin has dissolved, and then divide the gelatin mix in two trays, and place in the fridge to set.
Ingredients for the Triffle:
- 1 sponge roll
- ½ cup port
- 2 nectarine
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 1 punnet blackberries
- 1 tin peach in syrup
- Thickly slice the sponge and arrange it at the bottom of the triffle bowl.
- Drizzle the sponge with the port and 1/3 of the half set jelly. The sponge will soak the jelly giving it an even better texture.
- Arrange the custard over the sponge, you want your custard to be a little looser than usual to keep the trifle saucy and not dry.
- Then dispose the fruit on top of the custard and finish by adding the jelly for the last layer!
I recommend a Chateau Coutet 2006 (Sauternes) available from www.airoldifinewines.com.au