The Crème Caramel is, I think, one of the most iconic French dessert, one that you’ll find on every brasserie menu around France or French restaurants overseas. It is a dessert I used to have growing up; even the school cantine used to serve crème caramel. I like to refer to this dessert as the Tarte Tatin version of the Crème Brulée because it has the caramel at the bottom while cooking. I decided to revisit this classic recipe and give it my own personal twist by adding some saffron and orange blossom aroma. The floral aroma and the richness of the saffron combined with the refreshing scent of the orange blossom goes perfectly with the sweetness of the caramel. It also adds a touch of spring to this classic French dessert!
Ingredients for the Caramel
- 200g caster sugar
- 5cl water
- Mix the sugar and water together in saucepan and cook until the sugar becomes golden in colour. Then pour the caramel at the bottom of deep round baking dish, preferably glass or ceramic, and leave to set.
- 1 l full fat milk
- 7 free range eggs
- 10g saffron threads
- 2 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 250 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius and boil the kettle for the bain-marie.
- Bring the milk, saffron and orange blossom to the boil and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the egg and sugar together until slightly white and foamy.
- Pour the hot milk over the eggs through a strainer, and whisk until all the ingredients are dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the caramel, place the dish in a deep tray and cook in the bain-marie for 25-30 minutes.
- Let the crème caramel cool in the dish before you take it out as it may collapse if you do it when it’s still hot.
- To unmold the crème, gently run a small knife around the edge of the dish. Then place a serving plate slightly bigger than the baking dish over the crème caramel upside down and quickly flip it around while holding both plate. Reserve in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Watch the how to video below or visit my YouTube channel here for more!